So I recently discovered Chicken Carbonara… oh my. It’s heaven in my mouth, but weighs a little heavy on the guilty-pleasure scale. But I’ve always been a firm believer that just because food is healthy, it doesn’t have to be boring. So I found a way to create guilt-free Chicken Carbonara: in salad form, of course! I tried to take all of the fresher elements of the dish and replace the useless filler-calories with plant-based things, and I have to admit, I’m pretty pleased with it. This was definitely a flavorful, interesting salad to eat. And I kind of really just like looking at it, too!
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- 1 heart of Romaine
- 2.5 ounces baby spinach and baby kale mix
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small bundle of asparagus, woody bottoms removed
- 1/3 cup sweet peas
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Mariko Sakata’s raw vegan/paleo herbed Parmesan cheese (link below)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Mariko Sakata’s raw vegan herbed Parmesan cheese and a bit of salt to make dressing. Stir to combine and set aside so that flavors can meld.
- Chop Romaine heart and divide between serving vessels (makes 4-6 as a main meal and 8-12 as a side dish). Divide baby spinach and baby kale among vessels, as well.
- Steam asparagus and sweet peas until slightly tender, then rinse to cool. Chop asparagus and divide it, as well as your sweet peas, among your serving vessels.
- Season each side of the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook on a grill pan over medium-high heat until done, about 6-7 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add bacon to a pan and fry over medium heat until just before reaching desired crispiness, flipping with a fork halfway through. Place bacon between two paper towels and press to remove excess grease.
- Chop chicken and bacon and divide among serving vessels. Dress the salad as desired and enjoy!
I’m not sure why, but for some reason, summer time is salad time for me! If you feel the same way, check out this roundup of 20 delicious summer salads!