Growing up I always thought Brussels sprouts were the worst! Brussels sprouts were really the only vegetable that I didn’t eat. I even ate my beets, turnips and spinach! But as I’ve grown up (I’m not sure I really have yet!) and my tastes have evolved, I’ve learned to appreciate these mini cabbages. If you are like me and have never been a big fan of Brussels, I have a few key things that will make them not only palatable but even delicious!
First, you must always buy fresh. Really, it makes all the difference in the world. Second, don’t ever boil them, unless you like boiled cabbage and that sulfur smell. Third, pair Brussels sprouts with an equally strong flavor. What could be a better flavor than bacon?! In this dish, I roast the shredded Brussels sprouts in a savory and umami dressing and top it with bacon. The combination of salty and umami help to balance the strong flavor of the Brussels sprouts so much that this dish is now requested at my Thanksgiving dinner! Just remember to buy fresh, it truly is a game changer.
Paleo Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb (2-3 cups shredded) fresh Brussels sprouts
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon
- 1 Tbsp of bacon fat (or olive oil)
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Wash and cut the ends off of ~ 1 pound of fresh Brussels sprouts.
- Put Brussels sprouts in a Cuisinart with a slicer attachment. Shred the sprouts into a thin slices. You can do this by hand as well, it just takes longer.
- Place on a roasting pan or sheet. Drizzle with bacon fat (or olive oil) and coconut aminos.
- Season with pepper, garlic in bacon.
- Roast in the oven for 35 minutes. Every 10 minutes remove from the oven and toss to evenly roast the shreds.
- After 35 minutes, remove from oven and put into bowl. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve hot.
Serve by itself or as part of a delicious chicken or turkey dinner! Whatever you do, don’t be afraid of the Brussels sprouts. They are truly delicious and chock full of essential vitamins and minerals to promoting a healthy lifestyle.
You liked that didn't you... well here's more!