I love meatballs. They are super easy to make and down right addicting! Enjoy them in a good marinara or in a steaming bowl of soup. Heck, serve these Zesty Turkey Meatballs plain on the end of toothpick or a fast and easy appetizer!
These meatballs pack a punch and in this recipe have an Italian flavor. I like turkey for the meat source because the basic recipe could easily be altered for any combination of seasonings and flavors. I like to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers to pull out for a quick appetizer when I have unexpected guests or I add them as a protein source to a minestrone soup.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 sweet onion finely diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 6 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp potato flour or coconut flour
- 4 Tbsp crushed red pepper flake
- 3 Tbsp dried fennel seed
- 3 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt (or sea salt)
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Spray/Grease 2 sheet pans or cookies sheets that have a lip (so the meatballs don’t roll off!).
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients (I use my hands your could use a fork) so that all the seasonings, egg and flour are evenly incorporated throughout the meat.
- With a small cookie scoop, divide meat mixture into small meatballs and place on the greased pan. After all the meat is portioned out, use your hands to smooth and shape into meatballs.
- Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes. Remove meatballs from the oven and rotate them on the pan so that all sides get browned. Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. I can never stay out of them, but let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving! Enjoy!
If you love these meatballs, try mixing up the flavor combinations. I like swapping out the dried herbs for minced ginger, cilantro, and chili garlic paste for an asian flare! Serve with a tamarind-coconut amino glaze. Or you could put a southwestern spin on the seasonings and swap out the dried herbs with your favorite taco seasonings and serve with a chile-lime dipping sauce. The possibilities are endless!
You liked that didn't you... well here's more!