February. Roses, cards, hearts and chocolate. Oh, and my birthday month! It’s the shortest month and my birthday is two days after Valentine’s Day, which is great because my boyfriend doesn’t forget what day is my birthday. But not great so great because my birthday celebration gets combined with Valentine’s Day. So, I decide I’m going to make the whole month my birthday month!
So, we are celebrating all month long with my favorites foods! In full disclosure, I have never been a fan of cake. My mom use to always make me a cherry pie for my birthday “cake.” But, our neighbor use to make this dark chocolate cake with ganache frosting that was rich, moist and not at all over the top sweet like most layer cakes. She called it Death by Chocolate Cake. So, in honor of combining Valentine’s Day and my birthday, I have transformed this decadent cake into a Paleo masterpiece that is fit for any romantic Valentine’s Day dinner or Birthday celebration!
Paleo Death By Chocolate Cake Ingredients
Cake (makes 2 – 9-inch round cakes)
- 2 1/2 cups raw Almond Flour
- 1 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup Coconut Flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3/4 cup melted Coconut Oil
- 5 eggs room temperature
- 3 Tbsp brewed espresso
Mocha Frosting (middle of layers)
Dark Chocolate Ganache (outer frosting layer)
- 12 oz dark chocolate ( 70% dark)
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream ( you can use a a few tablespoons from the can above)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
Paleo Death By Chocolate Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 2 9-inch round cake pans liberally with coconut oil or coconut cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder).
- Add maple syrup and coconut oil and using a mixer or beater combine.
- Beat in eggs and espresso until completely incorporated.
- Pour half into each greased cake pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pans for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire cooling rack to COMPLETELY cool.
- In a small bowl place 12-14 oz of coconut cream.
- Whip in espresso and maple syrup. Only beat together until incorporated, you don’t want to heat up the coconut cream and make it runny.
Dark Chocolate Ganche
- Put dark chocolate chips or chunks and coconut cream in a small sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat. Drizzle in maple syrup stirring constantly so chocolate doesn’t burn or cease.
- Once melted remove from heat and assemble cake. You may have stir periodically to keep chocolate warm.
- Place 1 completely cooled cake on a cake plate (or make one if you don’t have one out of cardboard and foil).
- Spread all of the Mocha frosting on the top of the cake in an even layer.
- Place the next cake carefully on top.
- With a spatula or offset spatula carefully spread chocolate ganache on top and around the layer cakes.
- Let cool for 1 hour then cove and transfer to the refrigerator.
- Store in the refrigerator until 30 minutes before you are ready to serve!
I’ll admit that this process takes 2-3 hours total, which is more than I am usually willing to spend in the kitchen. But trust me when I tell you this is a deliciously devilish treat that is perfect for Valentine’s Day. So, indulge and treat your special someone (and you) to a paleo death by chocolate!
Looking for more chocolate treats? Check out these Chocolate Brownies!
You may also like...