This Spicy Shrimp Super Salad recipe evolved in my head slowly, over time. And once it came together I couldn’t wait to share it! It’s inspired by deconstructed shrimp tacos, as you’ll notice by the flavor profile and the slaw-like salad base. But as I researched different ingredients, I realized that I could pack quite a punch in the nutrition category while adding both flavor and texture and make this into a Super Salad! The mircrogreens alone (which are young plants, harvested at 7-14 days) add a ton of vitamins and nutrients with just a little sprinkle.
This salad will taste great fresh, but it makes for a very nice meal prep, as well. The base of the salad is a little denser than your usual leafy greens, and they take well to soaking in the dressing. Instead of wilting, they’ll just take on more flavor.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Spicy Shrimp Super Salad Ingredients
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, cored and deseeded, minced
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 head Endive lettuce, chopped
1/2 head purple cabbage, chopped
3 cups massaged and shredded kale
1/2 cup microgreens
1/3 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 lb. cleaned, uncooked large shrimp
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
salt and pepper
cooking fat/oil of choice (I used coconut oil)
Spicy Shrimp Super Salad Directions
- Combine all ingredients for dressing in a bowl, mix vigorously and set aside so that the flavors can meld together.
- Chop up first 5 ingredients through cilantro and mix together in a large bowl.
- Warm a large pan over medium-high heat. Prep shrimp by sprinkling chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper evenly over shrimp, covering both sides.
- Add just enough of your cooking fat/oil to the warmed pan to coat it, then add the shrimp. You will likely have to do this in 2-3 batches, depending upon the size of your shrimp. Cook shrimp for 6-8 minutes, flipping occasionally. Properly cooked shrimp are just opaque and have just begun to curl in on themselves.
- Roughly chop shrimp and add to the salad bowl. Drizzle dressing over to taste and toss salad to coat.
Inspired? Check out our round-up of delicious and healthy paleo salad recipes!
You may also like...