Spring is here! One of my favorite spring combinations is beets, radicchio and citrus. The earthiness of the beets paired with the brightness of citrus makes for the perfect bright Spring Beet Radicchio Salad. The orange vinaigrette with the green lettuce and beets makes for a beautiful and impressive presentation. I like to add bacon to make it a complete and satisfying lunch that makes all my coworkers jealous!
The heart of this salad is the roasted beets and blood oranges. I recommend taking the time to properly season and roast the beets. Blood oranges are not always available, but when they are they add a beautiful coloring and sassy tartness. I prefer either s double smoked or peppered bacon to add a smoky flavor to this bright salad.
Part 1- Roasted Beets
- 2-3 large beets (red or golden)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp of dried dill
- 1 Tbsp of coconut cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Chop beets into quarters and toss with garlic and dried dill.
- Place on a baking sheet sprayed with coconut cooking oil.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes or until beets are tender.
- Cool to room temperature.
Part 2 – Salad
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 head radicchio, shredded
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 spring onion (or 2 shallots), minced
- 2 blood oranges, sectioned
- 5 slices of cooked bacon, thinly sliced (Skip if you’re vegetarian or vegan)
- Combined and toss shredded lettuce and radicchio, sliced fennel, radish and onion in a large salad bowl.
- Slice cooled and roasted beets and reserve in a separate plate/bowl with sectioned blood orange.
Part 3 – Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 fennel fronds
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- zest of 1 blood orange
- juice of 1 blood orange
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup water
- In a Magic Bullet, blender or Cuisinart, blend peeled garlic, fennel fronds, mustard, zest, blood orange, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Add white wine vinegar, oil and water and continue to blend until creamy.
- Store in air tight container for up to 10 days.
The Finale – Spring Beet Radicchio Salad
- Plate salad mixture on a large plate or bowl.
- Top with beets, orange and bacon.
- Dress with vinaigrette and serve immediately. Enjoy!
There is just something about the tart and sweetness of citrus with the earthiness of beets and greens that screams SPRING! I love the brightness of this salad and serve it for lunch or as the perfect side for a grilled steak or salmon fillet. For more seasonal and spring eats check out this spring veggie round-out.