Whoever came up with the tomato + basil combo was a GENIUS. These two ingredients together is one of my favorite pairings, so I guess it makes total sense that I would enjoy having Tomato Basil Soup! Have you ever tried making your own Paleo Tomato Basil Soup? It’s quite easy (and delicious!), especially if you have a slow cooker. Here’s how!
- 1.5 lbs fresh tomatoes, cut in to large chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions or 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- ½ jalapeno, chopped (Optional – ya’ll know I like it spicy)
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 cups broth (chicken, bone broth, vegetarian, whatever)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup coconut milk
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Toss together the tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Place the tomatoes in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes.
Now, combine all ingredients in a slow cooker including the roasted tomatoes.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.
Let the soup cool a bit, and then transfer the soup to a blender or large food processor and puree.