Yes, I’ve had Pepper Steak out in American-Chinese restaurants before. They’re not bad… but they’re not DELICIOUS like my mom’s homemade ones. I always wondered if there was a reason to it other than my mom just being an awesome cook. Well, I finally learned it from her and realized I love it so much because she doesn’t make it with regular Green Peppers! She makes it with Hot Green Peppers … giving your average Pepper Steak a delicious kick!
- 4 large Hot Green Peppers, seed removed, and sliced. A note about these – since there are so many Korean stores around, we usually by Korean Hot Peppers (Cheongyang chili pepper) It looks like the below image. If you can’t locate these in your nearest Asian store – try Jalapenos. Just Remember it’ll be spicy! Or, if all else fails – you can do a mix of Jalapenos and Green Peppers or only Green Peppers for no spice.
- 1/2 lb of beef, thinly sliced (you can choose any part you like to eat, ex: beef top sirloin steak, beef top round steak)
- 2 spring onions (aka green onions)
- 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce (or coconut amino if you are paleo/gluten free)
- 1 tbsp of ginger, sliced and chopped (about 1 inch length)
- 1/2 tbsp of rice wine (Optional, you can use another type of clear alcohol or leave it out completely)
- 1/2 tbsp of cooking oil/fat of your choice (ex: bacon fat, olive oil, coconut oil)
- 1/2 tbsp of potato starch
- Salt, as desired
In a medium bowl, mix the sliced beef with potato starch and optionally rice wine/alcohol.
Heat cooking oil/fat of your choice in a medium skillet.
Add ginger and cook for half a minute.
Add the steak and then add soy sauce or coconut amino. Stir fry for a minute or 2 or until it is mostly brown/cooked (but not completely).
Remove the steak and ginger from the skillet and place aside.
Add Peppers and add salt.
Stir fry until peppers are half cooked, and then add the steak and ginger, along with the spring onions back in the skillet.
Stir fry until steak is thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat and serve!
Looking for more beefy recipes? Check out this round up of 65+ Delicious Whole30 Beef Recipes!