Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but for a lot of people, it’s difficult to find the time to eat a healthy breakfast — or any breakfast at all! These Paleo Egg Muffins are the perfect solution — you’ve got veggies, meat and healthy fat all in a convenient little package.
The best part about these is how incredibly versatile they are — you can basically substitute anything you want for the ingredients I’ve used in this recipe: any meat, any veggie, any combination you can think of!
1 cup baby spinach
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used crimini)
1 cup sausage crumbles
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cooking fat/oil of choice (I used olive oil)
Olive oil spray
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a muffin pan with parchment liners. Spray each liner with a touch of olive oil spray to make it easier to remove the liners later.
- Add cooking fat/oil of choice to a saucepan over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned — about 5 to 8 minutes. Add in baby spinach towards the end of the cooking time so that it is lightly steamed.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, baking powder, salt and pepper until combined.
- Add sausage crumbles to bottom of each muffin liner. Top with the sautéed mushrooms and spinach, filling each liner to about 2/3 full. Pour egg mixture over the top of the other ingredients, filling each muffin liner almost to the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until muffins have a jiggle to them.
Serving Notes: This makes about 10-12 muffins. They’re great served fresh, but they’re also a super convenient way to get a healthy breakfast when you’re on the go. I waited until these cooled completely and then stored them in the refrigerator, each in its own individual snack-sized Ziploc bag. You can reheat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or you can just eat them at room temperature like I did.
Looking for more recipes for breakfast? Check out this HUGE collection of delish paleo breakfast recipes!
You liked that didn't you... well here's more!