It’s almost Valentine’s Day and there is nothing that says “I love you” more than chocolate and bacon. Well, maybe only the second part if you live in my house. But seriously, enough with the sugary chocolates in heart shaped boxes! Who wants those, really?! If I’m going to indulge, I would much rather have a heart-shaped box full of bacon than sugary filled cheap chocolate. But wait. Heart-shaped bacon… heart shaped bacon?!!!
Yep folks, I made heart-shaped bacon. Well, sort of. I mean I weaved bacon into a lattice and then used a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make heart-shaped pieces of deliciousness! And to keep with tradition, it pairs perfectly with a slightly sweet, slightly spicy chocolate pudding and a bottle of champagne! I can’t think of a better Valentine’s Day!
Paleo Mexican Chocolate Pudding
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup high quality cocoa powder
- 1 Tbps cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp coarsely ground sea salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp organic vanilla
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (mix with~ 2 tbsp of solids to form a thin paste)
- Half the avocado and remove the pit.
- Mix together cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper to combine.
- Mix together the coconut milk with the fatty coconut solids to form a thicker paste/yogurt like consistency.
- In a blender or food processor combine all the ingredients until they are smooth.
- Put into serving vessels and chill for at least 30-45 minutes.
- 1 lb of applewood smoked bacon, sliced relatively thinly
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Form a lattice the pound of bacon making sure to keep the layers even and as tight as possible. Place on a wire rack on a sheet pan in the oven.
- Cook partially ~ 20 minutes until the bacon has shrunk but is still pliable.
- Cut out heart shapes using a cookie cutter and knife to hold the shape. (This is truly a labor of love, but well worth it when it is done.)
- Bake another 15 minutes until golden brown and delicious.
- Let completely cool on wire rack until firm.
- Serve with chocolate pudding and a glass of champagne!
I. Mean. Seriously. No spoons needed! Just shovel that thick creamy chocolate pudding into your mouth with an amazing bacon spoon! Yum. Perfect Valentine’s Day. For more delicious recipes for Valentine’s Day check out this awesome Valentine’s Day dessert round up!
You liked that didn't you... well here's more!