Fresh seafood lightly charred with a hint of lime and salt…ah, heaven. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water! Seafood Fajita Salad is the perfect summer dinner that you can get on the table in less than 30 minutes. Just fire up the charcoal, gas or wood-fired grill and toss some veggies and your favorite combination of fresh seafood with oil, salt and pepper and viola!
My very favorite seafood combination for this salad is Prawns with Sea Scallops. However, I have used everything from bay scallops, squid, tuna and salmon to make this fajita salad. All them were unique and delicious!
- 1 lb fresh American Spot Prawns, cleaned, shelled and deveined
- 6-8 fresh Sea Scallops, patted dry
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 limes, halved
- 3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil, or Avocado Oil
- 3 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 head shredded cabbage, or lettuce
- 1/3 bunch of cilantro, for garnish
- 8-10 bamboo or metal skewers
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Take two skewers and leaving a small gap between each skewer, put them through the middle of the scallop, like a lollipop. Do so there are 2-3 scallops on each set of 2 skewers.
- Season the scallops evenly on both sides with 1 Tbsp oil, juice from 1/2 lime,1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne (optional).
- In a bowl, place the cleaned prawns along with 1/3 of the minced garlic, 1 Tbsp oil, juice from 1/2 lime, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp cayenne (optional). Toss to coat evenly.
- Skewer 4-5 prawns on a single skewer, making sure to go through the tail and head portion.
- Wash and half the onion, green and red bell pepper, poblano and jalapeno pepper (remove seeds for milder flavor). Place on a sheet pan and drizzle with 2 Tbsp of oil to evenly coat veggies. Season with 1 Tbsp each of salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl put remaining garlic, salt, pepper and the juice of 1/2 lime. Set aside.
- When grill is hot put the onions and peppers on being careful to not break up the onion layers. Grill each side for 2-3 minutes or until lightly charred.
- Remove from grill and place back on to sheet pan. You want there to still be a firm texture on the peppers and onions.
- Carefully slice the hot onions and peppers and put into the bowl that has the lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover with the pan to help infuse with garlic and lime.
- Place prawn and scallop skewers over medium-high heat. Grill for 4 minutes a side or until prawns turn pink and scallops opaque.
- Remove from the grill and season with the remaining juice of 1/2 lime.
- Serve the grilled veggie mixture and a prawn and scallop skewer over shredded cabbage or lettuce for each person. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Fresh Sea Scallops can be pricey even when they are in season. However, they are very rich so you only need to buy 2-3 per person. If you can’t find them fresh or its not within your budget, most stores carry flash frozen scallops. These work great too! Just make sure that you thaw them out completely before grilling. Either way, scallops are delicious, lean and perfect for summer grilling!
Looking for Shrimp and Scallop dishes? Check out this Shrimp and Scallop Buddha Bowl!