Continuing on from the last post on Harvest Season… What do you do with 4 tubs full of cucumbers?? Make some delicious and paleo pickles, of course! This recipe is easy and I promise more delicious than store bought pickles you will find at the grocery store!
Kosher Refrigerator Dills Pickles
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Inactive Time: 2 weeks
- Yield: 1 quart of pickles
- ~ 5-7 pickling cucumbers (sliced, quartered or left whole)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and whole
- 2 heads of dill washed and chopped
- 1 Tblsp whole mustard seed
- 1 Tblsp black peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 Tblsp kosher salt
- 10 oz tap water
- 5 oz white vinegar
- In a sterile quart glass jar put onions, garlic, dill, mustard and peppercorns.
- Pack cucumbers tightly into the jar leaving enough head space for the vinegar mixture to completely cover the cukes.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar and kosher salt.
- In a small sauce pan boil 10 oz of water and 5 oz of vinegar.
- Once boiled, pour over pickles in the jar and cover with a lid. Because these are refrigerator pickles they don’t have to be canning jars with canning lids. Just make sure that they are snug tight and won’t leak.
- Let set at room temperature for 24 hours and then put in the refrigerator.
- After 7 days turn the jars upside down for another 7 days before they are ready to enjoy!
This recipe is one of my favorites for a summer lunch with friends. It is super easy to make ahead of time and the kitchen stays cool. Also, these pickles are crunchy, garlicky and are everything that you dream of in a pickle! The best part is that they are super easy and go great on any sandwich, hamburger or hot dog and compliment any of the labor day classics!