Have you ever been incredibly stressed or upset because someone just stumped all over your awesome day, and now you want to eat – either you’re just eating your feelings or hey, you’ve been upset for like 5 hours and it’s time to eat, okay?! Well, no worries. I’ve been there, and I am here to tell you what to eat if you want to stay healthy while being uncontrollably upset because someone might or might not have been the worst person ever!
So here we go! 10 awesome things to eat (or drink) when you’re just stressed beyond imagination…
Paleo Stress Foods
- Salmon. Salmon’s full of Omega 3 essential fatty acids, which also helps to boost serotonin production. Omega 3 helps in calming down those stress hormones. It also helps promote healthy blood flow, both of which are compromised with chronic stress. Here’s an easy one to try: Oven Baked Salmon.
- Nuts. “You are what you eat” is not true here. When you’re nuts, you should eat nuts! Nuts, like Salmon, is a rich source of Omega 3, which helps reduce stress. Walnuts are one of the best sources of Omega 3’s. While Cashews and sunflower seeds also contain tryptophan (that thing turkey also contains), which boosts serotonin production.
- Citrus fruits. As you probably already know – citrus fruits are a great way to get your Vitamin C! But did you know that studies show Vitamin C reduces stress levels? Well, now you know! Maybe get your water with lemon next time. How about this Citrus Fresh Smoothie?
- Sweet Potatoes. Sweet potatoes care packed with beta-carotene and fiber which helps your body process carbohydrates slowly. So instead of regular potato fries, which you might be craving when you’re in an upset mood, get some sweet potato fries! Maybe they will make your mood sweeter… (bad pun intended). Try making these Sweet Potato Chips!
- Avocados. Avocados help lower pressure with monounsaturated fats and potassium! That’s why when you’re pissed off, you might want to order some guacamole! Or maybe make some Baked Eggs in Avocados!
- Dark Chocolate. How glad are you that I mentioned this? Seriously though, if you have noticed that chocolate makes you feel better when you’re down, it’s probably not coincidence. Apparently studies show that it reduces levels of the stress hormone cortisol and catecholamines in highly stressed people! See, that’s why you love chocolate ;)
- Bananas. When things are going Bananas… you might want to eat some! Bananas contain dopamine! Dopamine is a neurotransmitter found in the brain that stimulates happiness and improves your mood! Take care of #8 and #9 with this Paleo Chocolate Banana Pudidng.
- Fermented foods. Eating probiotic-rich fermented foods may help prevent intestinal problems linked to chronic
- Turkey. Did you know that turkey contains tryptophan, which boosts serotonin production? Serotonin is important because it’s the ‘feel good’ brain chemical and alleviates stress! This is probably why everyone feels so satisfied after that giant Turkey meal during Thanksgiving! Try this one: Paleo Turkey Hash.
- Spinach. Spinach is great source of magnesium, and magnesium helps promote a sense of calm. It also helps boost your energy levels, which is awesome cause being stressed brings you down! Did you know that a deficiency in magnesium can cause migraine headaches and fatigue? Yikes! Better eat some spinach. How about this one: Creamed Spinach.