A Very Hairy Fruit: Rambutan

15 Oct

Rambutans look like they are lychees with a head full of hair.  Literally, this fruit’s name even means hair! “Rambut” in Indonesian and Malay, where this fruit is native to, means “hair”.

Rambutan

Rambutan: A Very Hairy Fruit

Hairy Rambutan

Hairy Rambutan

These cool looking fruits not only look like fun times, but they also taste like fun times.  They taste very similar to lychee and that makes total sense as it is scientifically closely related to lychees.  If you haven’t tried either, I would suggest you do so soon!

Rambutan

A Single Rambutan

So how do you even eat that thing!?

Well, very easy… kind of.  First and foremost, don’t just bite in to it.  Now, what you can do is take a knife and cut through the hairy skin layer of the Rambutan, and then pop off the top so that it looks like this:

Cut Opened Rambutan

Cut Opened Rambutan

Then, you can take out the “meat” of the Rambutan and eat it.  However, be careful! There is a single large seed (large compared to apple seeds) in the middle of the fruit, so be sure not to swallow it!

Rambutan

More Rambutans

Allright I’ll try it… but where can I even find this “hairy fruit”??

Well, there are two answers:  1) Frieda’s Rambutan on Amazon Grocery, and 2) Look for it in your nearest Asian super market!!  It’s not a guarantee that they will all sell it, but you are most likely to find them in Chinese super markets or if there is one near you an Indonesian or Malaysian super market.

You may also like...

10 Responses to “A Very Hairy Fruit: Rambutan”

1. shermangerherd October 15, 2012 at 10:30 am #

It has been a long time. They are so very good. Thanks for the memories.

• Tina T. October 15, 2012 at 10:34 am #

I only had them for the first time last week! I was so excited as I love trying new foods, and it looked so cool/exotic! You should look for some around you so you can eat them again :)

2. RAN October 15, 2012 at 10:41 am #

More exotic varieties of this fruit are available here in the Philippines.

• Tina T. October 15, 2012 at 10:48 am #

That is so fun! I only saw this type around here. I live in Atlanta, Georgia in the US so it’s a little harder to find these types of fruits than in Asian.

• RAN October 15, 2012 at 10:52 am #

No worries, I’m sure you’ll soon find time to visit the Philippines. I’ll be waiting for your future post about this. :-)

3. Tina T. October 15, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Reblogged this on mindsome and commented:
    Just in case you haven’t moved with us over to Oh Snap! Let’s Eat! yet…. here’s our most recent post! Make sure you subscribe to Oh Snap! Let’s Eat! so you don’t miss out on our posts!

4. F'n Dave November 7, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Nice! I love these! I had some in Hawaii once and the fruit near the seed had an almost electrical tingly taste. Nice review/pics!

• Tina T. November 7, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Thanks! This was the first time I had them! I really like them but I think I”m just way too lazy to have them as often as I’d like haha

Trackbacks and Pingbacks