The real reason I wrote this post is because I am amazed by how there are so many different types of eggplants. You thought that you knew about eggplants, but not only are there so many different kinds, but there’s also a bunch of interesting facts about them! For example, did you know that they have nicotine in them? Here’s some fun facts about them, and what different types of eggplants there are:
- Eggplants are actually a fruit (and not a vegetable), just like tomatoes, potatoes, and chili peppers! These ‘veggies’ are actually all in the Nightshade family… which also includes…Tobacco! Which is why…
- Eggplants actually contains the highest amount of nicotine found in any vegetable! Don’t worry though, you would have to have eat about 20 lbs (9kg) of eggplants to hit the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette!
- Some Foodies say there’s a difference in ‘male’ and ‘female’ eggplants and that they taste different! However, scientist disagree that there is such a thing.
- You thought you knew what eggplants…but eggplants vary in size and colors. Check them out these Eggplants around the world below!
Here’s your standard American Eggplants which looks a lot like Italian Eggplants (not pictured). American ones are more round, than your normal Italian ones.
American Eggplant Recipes
- All-American Eggplant Parmesan
- Garlic Parmesan Baked Eggplant
- Old-School Italian-American Eggplant Parm
- Deep Fried Eggplant
- Eggplant, Yellow Squash and Tomato Casino
I grew up eating this one! Chinese eggplants have a thinner skin and are less bitter as it has less seeds (the seeds are what makes an eggplant slightly bitter).
Chinese Eggplant Recipes
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (魚香茄子)
- Spicy Chinese Eggplant with Szechuan Sauce
- Stir-Fried Asian Eggplant
- Chinese Eggplants with Minced Pork
- Stir-Fried Eggplant with Basil and Chiles
Japanese Eggplants are more similar to Chinese Eggplants. The skin is thin and it has a sweet flavor. It can also be green, pink, white, lavender or purple.
Japanese Eggplant Recipes
- Japanese Eggplant With Ginger And Scallions
- Japanese Eggplant Saute
- Garlic Roasted Japanese Eggplant
- Grilled Japanese Eggplant
- Stir Fried Japanese Eggplant with Ginger and Miso
Indian eggplants are sweeter and more tender than American Eggplants. They’re small and round, just a few inches long, and have a smooth, dark purple skin.
Indian Eggplant Recipes
- Bhartha (Spicy Indian Eggplant)
- Indian Eggplant – Bhurtha
- Baingan ka Bharta (Indian Eggplant)
- Spicy Roasted Indian Eggplant (Bhartha)
- Brinjal Eggplant Curry
My personal visual favorite! These look the most different from those other eggplants that the first time I saw it I didn’t realize they were eggplants! They are tiny little eggplants and are more bitter than the American eggplant, especially the seeds.
Thai Eggplant Recipes
- Thai Green Curry with Beef Recipe
- Roasted Thai Eggplant with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil
- Thai Basil Eggplant
- Thai Spicy Eggplant with Sweet Basil
- Eggplant w/ Basil & Chili Paste Stir-Fry