Aah, pizza… my very favorite food and the thing I missed most after adopting a low-carb lifestyle. Cauliflower seemed to be a popular crust alternative when I first began experimenting with pseudo-carb pizzas, but it never came out quite right for me and was less than desirable after being re-heated. Enter the cheese crust!
This cheese-based crust resembles the taste and texture of a thin-crust wheat pizza and reheats surprisingly well. Any toppings of your choice would work well on this bad boy and the possibilities are endless!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 ½ C mild cheese (mozzarella, cheddar or Fontina are a few options that work well)
- ¼ C almond meal/flour
- 2T flax meal
- 1 egg
- Italian herbs to taste
- Toppings of your choice (ensure any meats are fully cooked prior to topping pizza)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F
- Mix all ingredients except toppings in a mixing bowl
- Place the mixed “dough” between two sheets of wax paper and roll thin
- Remove the top layer of paper and bake on a cookie or pizza sheet for 12-15 minutes until cheese begins to orange. For an extra crispy crust, flip and bake for an additional few minutes
- Add your choice of sauce and toppings, brush crust with garlic butter, and bake another few minutes (salsa is a great low-carb sauce alternative)
You may also like...