The “Back to School” shopping season is over and it’s all about Halloween in the stores. That means candy galore! Snickers, Mounds, Milky Way, Kit Kat at every corner. But who needs all that corn syrup, sodium metabisulfite and “artificial flavoring.” I certainly don’t. But, every girl deserves a chocolatey treat. After all, it is Halloween. This recipe is combination of one of my favorite cookies (coconut macaroons) and my favorite candy, Almond Joy! I mean can you ask for a better combination… Coconut and chocolate?! Here’s how to make your own Paleo Mounds Candy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Inactive Time: 1 1/2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies/balls
- 14 oz bag of unsweetened coconut shreds
- 8 oz Cream of Coconut (organic) – This is not the same as Coconut Cream. Make sure you get either unsweetened cream of coconut or baking coconut milk.
- 2 egg whites
- 4 Tbsp. Agave syrup
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 oz bag of dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk together the cream of coconut and agave syrup. Make sure that your cream of coconut looks like a whipped coconut milk otherwise you have the wrong stuff!
- In a separate smaller bowl whisk the two egg whites until frothy.
- Whisk together the eggs and coconut cream mixture. Add the salt and vanilla.
- Whisk in the unsweetened coconut flakes.
- Scoop onto a greased cookie sheet with a cookie scoop.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Place the cooled cookies into the freezer for at least an hour.
- After cookies are frozen (this helps solidify the chocolate after dipping), heat dark chocolate and coconut oil in a saucepan on medium heat until completely melted.
- Take chocolate off heat and take cookies out of the freezer. I put a piece of parchment on a cookie sheet with a wire cooling rack on top for easy clean up.
- You can dip the entire cookie into the chocolate and spoon the chocolate over the cookies to ensure they are entirely coated. Or you can just dip the tops.
- After all the cookies are dipped, place the pan back in the freezer for 30 minutes to solidify the chocolate. Enjoy!
Enjoy these treats frozen or at room temperature, just make sure to store in an air tight container. Don’t miss out on Halloween treats, just consciously miss out on all the preservatives. Enjoy these tasty treats with other delicious chocolatey paleo desserts!
You may also like...