29 Mar

The first time I made this ice cream, I made it as the dessert portion of a Valentine’s day dinner for my boyfriend.  He was amazed that I, by myself, made it from scratch (without an ice cream maker).  For a while, I almost didn’t want to tell him that, not only was it ridiculously easy to make, but it also only consisted of… ONE ingredient.  I did end up telling him, and fortunately he was still amazed by the dinner because I’m awesome (just kidding?).

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

So let’s go on with it then!

One Ingredient Ice Cream
One Ingredient Ice Cream

Prep Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • Bananas!

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

That’s it! There’s your one ingredient! (Can you tell I’m very excited?)  What I really love about this recipe is that, not only is it delicious, but it is also 100% healthy and Paleo-friendly.

Instructions:

1.  Peel the bananas!

2.  Cut them into small pieces on a cutting board like so:

3.  Put them on a plate (or Plastic freezer Bag):

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

4.  Saran Wrap it (or if you got a plastic bag zip lock it up).

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

5.  Leave them in the freezer for at least 2 hours.  When I make this dessert, I usually do these steps a few hours before I want to serve them, and then run off to do other things before coming back to get them out of the freezer.  If you’re making other meals this is a good time to switch off to preparing the other dishes.

6.  When you take those bananers out in 2 hour or so, they should be all frozen:

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

7.  Now, grab a Blender or a Food Processor, and stick all those frozen banana pieces in there and blend!  A warning here is that this can be kind of hard.  Literally, hard.  The banana pieces are frozen and occasionally they will get stuck, so you want to make sure you have something to poke it around to help the process, like a wooden spoon or something.

Now, I use a blender, and a hardcore one at that!  I got this baby as a gift in Taiwan!

8.  Throw those frozen bananas in the blender/food processor:

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

9.  Now BLEND!   I find it easier to blend, stop and poke it around, and then repeat until….

…they turn in to the following ice cream looking thing!!!

The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo

10.  Scoop them all out to enjoy your healthy, delicious, dessert you made all by yourself!    (Also, you can also use an ice cream scoop to make them look even more ice-cream-y)

You may also like...

18 Responses to “The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo”

1. Dustin (@coasterswim) March 29, 2012 at 11:58 am #

Your blender looks like a witch.

• tina March 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Haha, it is a pretty hardcore one that we got in Taiwan. But works awesome!

2. J April 8, 2012 at 11:07 am #

This looks so great! Definitely going to try it.

• tina April 8, 2012 at 11:09 am #

You definitely should! I recommend using a food processor if you have one, it makes it easier, BUT blender will work too.

3. lslclr September 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Mmm if you add some peanut butter this recipe become heavenly!

• ohsnapitstina September 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Great suggestion! Though I’m not a big fan of Peanuts but I’m sure if I substituted with Nutella might be yummy too!

4. Happy December 9, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this! makes me happy!

• Tina T. December 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

No Problem!

5. Achromicmoth December 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

Reblogged this on Transforming Flab to Fab and commented:
    So I’m totally having one of those “MUST HAVE SWEETS” kind of night. I found this while picking through some recipes and realized I have an entire container of frozen bananas in the freezer. HELLLLLOOOOOO Ice cream tonight!

• Tina T. December 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Hope it worked out great for you!!

6. Candi December 24, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Mine didn’t work!! After 4 hours the bananas still weren’t frozen, and blending them did not work. Now I have banana slop sitting in the freezer still not freezing. Not sure why nothing is freezing.

• Tina December 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

That’s so strange! First things first. You don’t want to blend unfrozen bananas, because that is not going to become ice cream consistency. So let’s concentrate on getting them frozen first…. I’m thinking if you put them in your freezer for 4 hours and they are not frozen… then maybe you want to check your temperature settings for your freezer. If they are at a temperature you are fine with, be sure to leave it in there for as long as you can to have it be frozen. After you get those bananas frozen you can continue on with the rest of the steps! I hope it works out for you!

• Candi December 25, 2012 at 2:08 am #

Thanks for your reply. It’s odd about the freezer – everything else freezes so not sure why the bananas didn’t. Perhaps the freezer is a bit full and struggling!! I will try it again.

• Tina December 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

Good luck! And Merry Christmas!!

7. Katie Short June 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

I keep a freezer half-full of frozen fruits. I’m not paleo, but I know you can add peanut butter to this recipe with great success. Also, frozen pineapples, mangos, strawberries, and blueberries make great additions. Also tiny bits of dark chocolate added at the end…

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Paleo Thanksgiving Desserts: Make One, Make All! « Oh Snap! Let's Eat! - November 12, 2012

[…] Oh Snap Let’s Eat’s One Ingredient Ice Cream […]

2. A Paleo Breakfast: 2-Ingredient Pancakes | Oh Snap! Let's Eat! - December 13, 2012

[…] The One Ingredient Ice Cream: Delicious, Healthy, and Paleo-friendly (ohsnapletseat.com) […]

3. Paleo Thanksgiving Desserts: Make One, Make All! | Oh Snap! Let's Eat! - January 6, 2013

[…] Oh Snap Let’s Eat’s One Ingredient Ice Cream […]