I will have you know, apparently this is the “YUMMIEST mashed potatoes ever”… according to my nephew and niece. Ok, I’m not entirely sure if it that’s true, but I will have you know it was a definitely a hit when I served it at Thanksgiving! Maybe it’s the aroma of basil mixed with coconut milk? You be the judge!
If you haven’t heard, white potatoes are back on the paleo menu – whatever that means. Why did I say “whatever that means”? Because I think truly, you should make your diet yours. Eat what you think is is healthy, don’t eat what you don’t think is healthy. That’s how I eat anyway! Cut out the processed foods, and consume more nutrient dense things… and white potatoes do have their nutritional benefits!
Anyway, on to the recipe!
[schema type=”recipe” name=”Paleo Basil Mashed Potatoes” image=”http://i.imgur.com/jLNyid6s.jpg” prepmins=”10″ cookmins=”20″ ingrt_1=”2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cubed” ingrt_2=”1 cup of coconut milk” ingrt_3=”4 tbsp of butter or coconut oil” ingrt_4=”1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped” ingrt_5=”Salt and pepper, as desired” ]
1. Put potatoes in a large saucepan with enough cold water to cover.
2. Cook on high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook until potatoes are tender when pierced (takes 20 mins for me but might be sooner/later depending on your stove)
3. While you wait for that, go ahead and heat up coconut milk with the butter in a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Drain potatoes and let cool slightly. Mash the potatoes!
5. Now, add the coconut milk/butter mixture and stir. I also use a hand mixer to smooth it all out.
6. Mix in basil, and add salt and/or pepper as desired. That’s it! You’re done! YUM!