Whenever the weather starts to get nice here in Ohio, my entire mindset changes — including my pallet. I start craving fresh produce and fun flavor combinations that my hibernating body just didn’t want in the winter. I love to make anything with the cilantro-lime flavor profile, and this chicken and “salsa” dish is one of my favorites.
I call it “salsa,” because I’m really not a tomato person. Or an onion person. And those are two of the main ingredients in a traditional salsa. My version focuses heavily on the sweet and spicy bursts of flavor from fresh peppers with the creaminess of the avocado to balance it
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Pepper Salsa Ingredients
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 1.5 - 2 lbs. chicken breast tenders
- 1 avocado
- 6 oz. mini sweet peppers (or 3 bell peppers -- one each of red, orange and yellow)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 3 oz. cherry or plum tomatoes
- 2 limes
- 3 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- Oil/fat of choice (I used olive oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray of choice (mine was coconut oil-based)
Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Pepper Salsa Directions
- Combine chicken, enough of your oil/fat to coat the chicken, the juice of one lime and 2 tbsp. of chopped cilantro in your marinating vessel. Toss to combine and let marinade at least 1 hour.
- Dice the jalapeño and add it to a medium-sized bowl. Chop avocado, peppers and tomatoes and add that to the bowl as well. Add the juice of 1 lime, 1 tbsp. of chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir the salsa mixture. Set aside.
- When chicken has marinated sufficiently, remove it from the marinade and throw the marinade away. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Coat a grill pan with cooking spray and add chicken. Cook over medium-high heat until done, approximately 5-7 minutes per side depending upon the size of the tenders.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and plate for serving. Serving size is 2-3 chicken tenders and about 3/4 cup of salsa mixture.
Lookin’ for more easy healthy chicken recipes? Here’s the easiest of them all (and delicious too!) – Easy Spice Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters: