Summer starts and ends with BBQs and outdoor parties. It unofficially officially begins on Memorial Day and ends on Labor Day. This year, I’ve vowed to keep true to eating paleo even during BBQ season and muster through without the saucy baked beans, grilled corn on the cob and grandma’s icebox cake! This is where my Paleo Bahn Mi Hot Dogs comes in!
Alas, after three months of “sacrifice” I’ve made it and I can actually say that I’ve come up with a few pretty awesome recipes that both Paleo and non-Paleo eaters love! For instance, grilled portabello mushrooms make a fantastic substitute for a burger bun, especially if you like your grilled burgers with bacon! And making ice box cake with crushed pecans and coconut ice cream in muffin tins, is legit! But of all my paleo creations, Paleo Bahn Mi hot dogs are my best adaptation. If you like bahn mi you will love bahn mi hot dogs!
- 2 medium carrots, julienned or sprialized
- Daikon radish, julienned or spiralized (optional)
- 1 small sweet or white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small mediterranean cucumber, julienned
- 1 hatch or anhiem pepper, julienned
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, minced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp of chili garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos or fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Paleo Hot Dogs (This one is bad: Applegate Farms The Great Organic Uncured Hot Dog)
- 4-6 large leafs of lettuce, washed and dried
- 1/2 bunch cilantro sprigs (garnish)
- 2-3 green onions, roughly chopped (garnish)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (garnish)
- Sriracha (garnish)
- Paleo Mayonaisse (optional)
- Julienne, spiralize or thinly slice onions, peppers, cucumber, carrots and mince up garlic and ginger.
- Set aside cilantro, lime and green onion for garnish.
- 20-30 minutes before serving: Everyone in the pool! Carrots, radish (if using), onion, peppers, cucumber, garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, vinegar, chili garlic and salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Grill, boil or roast hot dogs.
- Serve hot dog in a piece of lettuce, Mayo (optional), topped with slaw and garnished with cilantro, lime juice, green onions and sriracha.
These are sooooo delicious! I like them with turkey, beef or pork hot dogs! Fresh crispy veggies with heat and umami mixed with salty hot dogs, it’s heaven! I like to grill up slabs of sweet potato or yams instead of the classic potato salad or beans. This plate is the perfect way to end summer and to celebrate staying paleo throughout the BBQ season. For other delicious summer recipes checkout this paleo roundup!