I love January! Why you ask? Because January is National Soup Month! And by now everyone knows how much I love soup. However, not everyone in my house loves soup as much as I do. So, to keep the peace at our house I have been experimenting with different quasi-soup recipes! This Paleo Green Curry Chicken Soup has been dubbed as “the best curry you’ve ever made!” Better yet, it was a soup in disguise! So, if you are a soup lover but maybe someone else in your house isn’t a soup lover, stick around! Because this green chicken curry soup will be sure to not disappoint.
I will warn you that we like our curry spicy! I mean 5-stars, sweating so much your nose is even sweating, spicy! So, if you don’t want to melt your face off, omit the added serrano and chili peppers. A good green curry paste will be plenty of spice and you can always add more later.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lime, zested and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 2-3″ chunk of ginger, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced (optional – skip if you don’t like spicy so much)
- 1 chili pepper, minced (optional – skip if you don’t like spicy so much)
- 1 large carrot, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large celery stalk, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 1 medium red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and cut on the diagonal
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 qt of chicken stock, homemade is best!
- 4 Tbsp of green curry paste, homemade if you have it!
- 1 can of light organic coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large soup pot over put coconut oil and heat over medium heat to coat bottom of pot.
- Add chili and serrano (if using),onions, garlic and ginger and sweat for ~ 5 minutes. Onions should begin to soften.
- Add carrots and celery and sweat for another 5 minutes, until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add lime zest, shredded chicken, peppers and zucchini. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add curry paste and mix around to break up and evenly disperse.
- Add chicken stock and mix together thoroughly. Bring to a gently simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and return to a gently simmer.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge! (Pictured with some optional hot sauce because spicy = delicious!)
Oh my gosh! This seriously is some of the best curry I’ve made. But also, it is such a vegetable packed soup that if feels good to eat it! It is also so adaptable, that you could only add 1 cup of chicken stock and make it a more traditional green curry. It’s like two recipes in one! For more soups to enjoy during National Soup Month, check out this awesome Paleo Soup roundup!