I love January! Why you ask? Because January is National Soup Month! And by now everyone knows how much I love soup. However, not everyone in my house loves soup as much as I do. So, to keep the peace at our house I have been experimenting with different quasi-soup recipes! This Paleo Green Curry Chicken Soup has been dubbed as “the best curry you’ve ever made!” Better yet, it was a soup in disguise! So, if you are a soup lover but maybe someone else in your house isn’t a soup lover, stick around! Because this green chicken curry soup will be sure to not disappoint.
I will warn you that we like our curry spicy! I mean 5-stars, sweating so much your nose is even sweating, spicy! So, if you don’t want to melt your face off, omit the added serrano and chili peppers. A good green curry paste will be plenty of spice and you can always add more later.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lime, zested and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 2-3″ chunk of ginger, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced (optional – skip if you don’t like spicy so much)
- 1 chili pepper, minced (optional – skip if you don’t like spicy so much)
- 1 large carrot, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large celery stalk, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 1 medium red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and cut on the diagonal
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 qt of chicken stock, homemade is best!
- 4 Tbsp of green curry paste, homemade if you have it!
- 1 can of light organic coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large soup pot over put coconut oil and heat over medium heat to coat bottom of pot.
- Add chili and serrano (if using),onions, garlic and ginger and sweat for ~ 5 minutes. Onions should begin to soften.
- Add carrots and celery and sweat for another 5 minutes, until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add lime zest, shredded chicken, peppers and zucchini. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add curry paste and mix around to break up and evenly disperse.
- Add chicken stock and mix together thoroughly. Bring to a gently simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and return to a gently simmer.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge! (Pictured with some optional hot sauce because spicy = delicious!)
Oh my gosh! This seriously is some of the best curry I’ve made. But also, it is such a vegetable packed soup that if feels good to eat it! It is also so adaptable, that you could only add 1 cup of chicken stock and make it a more traditional green curry. It’s like two recipes in one! For more soups to enjoy during National Soup Month, check out this awesome Paleo Soup roundup!
You liked that didn't you... well here's more!