I know what you are thinking, salad for breakfast?!!! Just hear me out on this one. Maple and lemon dressing with a perfect over easy egg on a bed of hearty greens and salty smoky ham. This is a simple salad that I love for breakfast. Well, honestly I eat this Paleo Breakfast Salad with Simple Vinaigrette for lunch and dinner too! It’s got the ideal balance of sweet and savory that I crave when the Fahrenheit rises above 80 degrees.
This is the time of the season that I have an abundance of greens, tomatoes and herbs. I love this simple salad because I can use up my bounty without heating up the kitchen! For this batch I used chard and collard greens, but in the spring I use arugula (or rocket). Any hearty green will be a good foundation for the lemon maple vinaigrette and hot over easy egg.
- 4-6 oz of hearty greens, chiffonade
- 1 roma or beef steak tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp fresh French tarragon (chiffonade)
- 6-8 basil leaves (chiffonade)
- Salt and Pepper
- Farm fresh organic Eggs
- Hormone-Free sliced ham (or bacon)
- In a shallow bowl whisk together lemon zest, maple syrup, lemon juice and salt and pepper to combine.
- Arrange greens and tomatoes on a plate with ham or bacon.
- Heat a nonstick fry pan on medium. Spray with coconut cooking oil.
- Once heated, crack one or two farm fresh organic eggs in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook eggs to preferred doneness. Immediately slide on bed of greens and dress with Vinaigrette . (Pop the yolk for a creamier salad!)
- Serve and enjoy!
This is the perfect summer brunch, lunch or light dinner. This recipe is catered for 1 or 2 people for breakfast. Just increase the proportions for lunch or dinner or if you are feeding more people. For other easy and light Paleo salad recipes check out these awesome summer salad recipes.