I’m starting to see a pattern. Chinese and Taiwanese people love eggs in our food! This is another classic in my household: Stir Fry Shrimp with Eggs (aka 蝦仁炒蛋). It sounds simple but holy crap the way my mom makes it (which is this recipe) makes it soooo yummy. It’s also super easy to make and takes like 15 mins! I highly recommend!
By the way, you know what’s interesting? I’ve randomly been allergic to shrimp all my life. Sometimes I break out in hives, sometimes I can eat as much as I want and I’m fine. Well, one day I finally figured it out! I’m only allergic to Farm Raised Shrimps! After some research, I’ve narrowed it down to it all the awful things they are fed and the awful environments they live in. So I highly recommend eating wild shrimps for this one! Anyway, on to the recipe…
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 8 large shrimps
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp michiu/cooking sake (optional, it's def tastier with, though!)
- Garlic (crushed) or garlic powder
- Chopped scallions
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil/fat
1. In a bowl, dump together 1 tsp of sea salt, 1 tsp of michiu/cooking sake, and shrimps. Mix well together and then soak for about 5-10 minutes.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs together. Add in this bowl a tsp of sea salt, along with 2 tsp of michiu/cooking sake. Mix well.
3. In a cooking pan, add the cooking oi/fat. If you chose to use fresh garlic, add the fresh garlic in. If you are using garlic powder, skip this step.
4. Add the shrimps and stir fry at high heat for 30 seconds, and then immediately remove. We will stir fry this some more in a few mins. This is basically what mine looked like when I removed them:
5. Place those shrimps in the bowl of beaten egg mixed with salt and michiu. If using garlic powder, add now. Mix well together.
6. Now in medium high heat, add the whole shrimp and eggs mixture in to the pan. Let it cook for about 1 min allowing the egg to start cooking and then start stir frying the whole thing so the eggs break apart. Stir fry until the shrimps are almost cooked thoroughly. Before I broke it apart:
7. Add the scallions, and stir fry until shrimp is completely cooked thoroughly. Scallions should stay slightly uncooked.
8. Remove from fire and serve! Take pix and share #foodporn pix: