Chili is perfect for a lazy, chilly, rainy day, especially if you can make it in the slow cooker. It was exactly chili weather the other day so I was definitely craving it… the only issue was I didn’t have any chili powder laying around! Doesn’t matter to me, because I can make paleo slow cooker chili without any chili powder! Be warned though, this crock pot recipe’s very spicy if you add the cayenne pepper and jalapeno! So, skip those if you don’t want it like that.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 8 oz sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder (Optional, for those of you that do have it around)
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 0-1 tbsp cayenne pepper (It’ll be spicy! So put less or even none if you don’t like it too spicy.)
- 1 jalapeno (Optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 28-oz cans of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- Salt, pepper as desired
1. Use a chef’s knife to chop up all those things you are supposed to chop up. This includes the onion, green pepper, optional jalapeno, and mushrooms.
2. Turn crock pot/slow cooker to high, and dump your cans of diced tomatoes along with the tomato juice in to your slow cooker. My slow cooker is a 5-Quart Slow Cooker. So anything this size or bigger should work.
3. Add the paprika and chili powder (optional) in there, and stir.
4. In a large skillet on medium heat, heat up 1 tbsp of butter , and then add the ground beef. Cook until there’s only a little pink left, and make sure to break it down in to small chunks while doing so.
5. Dump the ground beef in to the slow cooker (try to keep the buttery meat sauce in the pan to cook veggies in).
6. Next, it’s time to sauté your veggies (onions, green pepper, jalapenos if using, mushrooms, garlic)! If you don’t really have that buttery meat sauce mixture any more, add another tbsp of butter. Sauté until your onions are translucent.
7. Add this mixture in to your slow cooker and stir.
8. I added salt, pepper and the cayenne pepper (if using) now, and mix well.
9. Change the slow cooker heat to low and cook for 8 hours, until chili is thickened and then enjoy!
It’s the perfect chili for when you want a different taste to your chili, and you like it spicy so you can turn the heat up while it’s rainy and cold outside!
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 13 g||20 %|
|Saturated Fat 6 g||28 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 57 mg||19 %|
|Sodium 212 mg||9 %|
|Potassium 634 mg||18 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 13 g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5 g||18 %|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 19 g||39 %|
|Vitamin A||82 %|
|Vitamin C||68 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
You may also like...