I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know what I am thankful for… food! But as much as I love Thanksgiving food, I’ve had enough turkey and Thanksgiving left overs. So today, something completely different… here’s how to make authentic Chinese Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (aka 魚香茄子) at home! It makes a great side dish and also an entree if you’re a vegetarian.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 2 chinese eggplants
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (coconut amino for gluten free/paleo)
- Cooking oil/fat of choice
- 1/2 tbsp of minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
1. Slice the Chinese eggplants like so:
2. Now, first thing we are going to do as soon as you cut it is soak them in some saltwater. This is to keep the eggplants from browning and turning ugly. I have them soak while I work on other dishes in the kitchen, so about 15 minutes.
3. Mince your garlic and ginger, and chop your scallion if you haven’t already done so:
4. Next up, heat a skillet up with hot water. Add some oil and salt to the hot water. When it starts boiling, throw the eggplants in the hot water for just a minute or until you see the purple skin start turning slightly brown. This step will prevent your eggplants from absorbing too much oil and getting all greasy.
Here’s what they will look like at this point:
5. In another pan, add cooking oil and set at high heat. Dump in your minced ginger and garlic.
6. If you like it spicy, add some hot chili now. I recommend adding a little. If you hate spicy food though, just skip this step.
7. Add the eggplants and soy sauce (or coconut aminos), (and optional: sprinkle some sugar) and stir around for a few minutes (about 5 minutes or until eggplants are cooked thoroughly). At the very end, add the chopped scallions and stir and turn off the fire.
And… that’s it! Dump all that on a plate and enjoy your delicious home made Chinese cuisine!
This an be a delicious veggie entree, but I always eat it as a side! Looking for an entree to go with? Here’s my most popular chicken entree – Easy Coconut Milk Curry Chicken!
You liked that didn't you... well here's more!