When i was little, I thought it was strange that many of my friends growing up didn’t like eating cabbage. My mom has always stir fried it with dried shrimp (蝦米) giving it a crunchy and tasty flavor, and I loved it! Maybe it was because not many people made it in this manner! So let me share this healthy (the dried shrimp has some great health benefits as I’ll explain later) and paleo (also gluten free) side recipe with you!
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:12 minutes
- Half of a cabbage head (We use the Taiwanese cabbage)
- 1/3 cup of dried shrimps
- Olive oil
- Salt, as desired
1. Shred your cabbage by cutting it in to thin long pieces.
2. Heat up olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat.
3. Now, about your dried shrimp: You can buy these at any Asian super markets or you can find it on amazon! They are basically shrimp that have been sun dried and shrunk to a thumbnail size. They have some great health benefits because they are a great source of calcium and protein, and low in fat! You can add this in many different chinese cooking, and it is edible.
The ones my family likes to use happens to be bigger than your average dried shrimp:
Throw in your 1/3 cup of dried shrimp in to the heated oil for about a minute (depends a lot on how hot your heat actually is) or until the dried shrimp has browned (not burnt!).
You’ll start smelling a yummy shrimp smell in your kitchen while this is happening (unless you hate shrimp…. then you probably shouldn’t make this recipe…)
4. Take out the dried shrimp and move to another plate for now.
5. Add in your shredded cabbage to the hot oil still in the pan.
6. Stir fry the cabbage for about a minute, and then cover for about 3 minutes. Then, uncover, and stir fry for 5 minutes or until the cabbage turns translucent/soft. (You can add about 2 tbsp of water if you think it is too dry.)
7. Add the dried shrimps to the cabbage and mix together.
8. Remove from heat and serve!